Sunday, February 16, 2003

If I might be allowed to do so (and it's my website, so I am), I'd like to offer all of you an extended quote from the great Scott Kurtz:
"Dear Mister Affleck,

I owe you an apology.

I was one of many internet “dipshits” who started crying foul when you were cast as Daredevil. I was positive (having never seen the movie) that you would "suck as Daredevil." I felt that your friend Matt Damon had been unfairly overlooked for the role (especially after seeing THE BOURNE IDENTITY).

Now that I have seen the movie, I realize that an apology is in order. I am a proud man, but I am not afraid to admit when I am wrong. So...here goes.

I'm sorry that I thought you would suck as Daredevil.
I'm sorry for, upon seeing the Daredevil stand-up in my theatre screaming "Damn you, Affleck!" while waving my fists in the air.
I am sorry for purposely groaning out load during the Daredevil trailer. I'm sorry for not listening to my dad when he told me that Daredevil would be cool. I beleive his exact words were "Daredevil will be a good movie if you can just watch it without being such an asshole."


Thanks for making the secret identity as interesting if not more interesting than the alter-ego. Again, I'm terribly sorry.

Sincerely
Scott R. Kurtz


------------------

I'm very specific about what I want from a comic book movie, ESPECIALLY a superhero movie. Daredevil delivered on all counts. Because of this, any shortcomings that the film might have were easy to discard. DD shined through on several counts.

1) Every new superhero movie ultimately means that I have to endure an origin sequence for every major character when all I want is for them to get into costume and start kicking ass. Daredevil broke that standard. This is not a movie that's sole purpose is "establishing a franchise."

2) Not only does Daredevil stay true to the comic book, it manages to come up with some really great ideas about DD and his powers that no one had come up with yet. On a couple of occasions I thought to myself "Have they done that in the comic? That's really a great idea." I think this is what made the movie brilliant.

3) The action was cool. Superhero cool. Running around and making jumps no human could make, swinging around like no human could. Fun, comic book panels, up on the screen. Wicked cool, guys. Seriously.

You should go see it. Good stuff!"

No comments: